Record Canterbury Meet Starts May 4th!
A record $15 million in purse money highlights the 2018 70-day racing season at Canterbury Park, which gets underway Kentucky Oaks Day on Friday, May 4th. Also a record this year is the lucrative $2.375 million stakes schedule. http://www.canterburypark.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2018-Canterbury-Stakes-Schedule.pdf
A new state-of-art jogger will be in place when the racing season begins. The previous jogger had become increasingly popular over the past few years but time took its toll. After numerous repairs to it in 2017, the Minnesota HBPA Board of Directors approved the purchase of a new jogger beginning with the 2018 meet. Likewise, due to inadequate use, excessive costs and repairs, the Board voted to cease having the HBPA operate, oversee and fund the pool.
Administration Building Improvements
The HBPA and Canterbury Park management agreed to make improvements to the administration building in the stable area in time for the 2018 meet. These improvements include painting and new furniture in the rec room as well as general renovation in other parts of the building.
Dental Clinic Back, Better Than Ever
Under the direction of Thoroughbred breeder and owner, Dr. Scott Rake, the Canterbury Park Dental Clinic will be back after a most rewarding year in 2017 of treating scores of backstretch workers’ dental needs. The clinic will be open every week of the meet and staffed with dentists and dental hygienists.
Golf Tournament Date Announced
The annual Minnesota HBPA Golf Tournament is back for its 24th renewal! It all happens on Monday, July 23rd, at Dahlgreen Golf Course in Chaska. The golf tournament will be followed by a delicious dinner buffet and the awarding of dozens of prizes.
Pork Picnic Back by Popular Demand
After an absence of a few years, last year the Pork Picnic was brought back and hundreds of (hungry) horsewomen and horsemen attended. This year, our friends at the Pork Producers Association have once again agreed to renew this delicious event on Sunday, August 19th.
Esperanza-YMCA Program for Kids
A special program for the Canterbury Kids, thanks to the enthusiastic advocacy by HBPA Board member Claudia Goebel, will again be offered this summer. In conjunction with Esperanza and the YMCA, there are special activities in which the Canterbury Kids can participate. In addition, breakfast and lunch are provided, as is the opportunity to make new friends by meeting other kids in the surrounding community.
The Minnesota HBPA
- HBPA Office Hours (beginning May 1st):
Tuesday – Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Wendy Hobson is executive administrator and Mike Cronin is executive director of the Minnesota HBPA.
2017 Election Information
Owner – Director (Vote for 2)
Trainer – Director (Vote for 1)
Ballots must be received in HBPA Office by September 7, 2017
Ballots have been mailed as of August 4, 2017. If you did not receive ballot and are an eligible voter, ballots are available at Minnesota HBPA office.
Minnesota HBPA Updates
- The Annual HBPA Golf Tournament on July 24th at Dahlgreen Golf Course was a big success. 100 players took to the fairways in the fun event of the year organized and planned by Joy Gorra and Wendy Hobson.
- The Dental Clinic has been up and running since the meet opened. Dr. Scott Rake, a proud Minnesota owner and breeder, oversees the clinic and has been ably assisted by Dr. Ayesha Downs and Dr. Mackensie McBeain. All three individuals volunteer their time and skills.
- The Summer Kids’ Program, in conjunction with the YMCA and Esperanza, has been a huge hit. Special thanks to HBPA Board member Claudia Goebel.
- SPECIAL RACING SCHEDULE CHANGE! The final two days of the season were originally Friday, September 15th and Saturday, September 16th. But now the final day of the season will be Friday, September 15th and there will be racing on Thursday, September 14th.
- HBPA Office Hours:
Tuesday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Make your plans now!
Horsemen’s Appreciation Day!!!
Sunday, August 20th
(after the races, outside Stable Area Administration Building)
- Pork BBQ with all the fixin’s! All the food is prepared by the experts…the Pork Producers of Minnesota!
- Free Canterbury Park/Minnesota HBPA Golf Caps! (while supplies last)
- Free “Our Horsemen Rock!” Customized T-Shirts! (while supplies last)
A special Thank You to Canterbury Park for help in making this event possible.
Minnesota Thoroughbred Association
- Preview: Sunday, August 20 at 6 p.m.
- Sale: Monday, August 21 at 4 p.m.
- Location: Canterbury Park – Expo Center
2017 ELECTION INFORMATION
The 2017 election will be held to elect two Owners and one Owner-Trainer to
three-year terms on the Board of Directors. Anyone interested in running for a position should contact any member of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Meeting is Saturday, July 1st at Longshot’s @ 11 a.m. Free breakfast is served.
Bob Briggs 520-749-7157
Joe Faraone 612-328-7923
Gary McCloud 651-528-9468
Board of Directors
Jack Walsh (Owner)
Bernell Rhone (Trainer)
David Van Winkle
The 2017 Membership consists of those owners, owner-trainers or trainers who have started a Thoroughbred racehorse in a qualifying race in 2016 and/or 2017. A qualifying race is a race on which pari-mutuel wagering is authorized within the jurisdiction of this Minnesota Association. To be eligible for nomination or to serve as a Director, the following requirements must be met:
Be a member in good standing of the Minnesota HBPA for at least 50% of the racing season during the one year immediately preceding the date of nomination. Be a member on the date of nomination, and remain eligible as such at all times thereafter.
Have started the aggregate total of one or more horses a minimum of three times while a member of the Association in the one year immediately preceding the date of nomination with at least one of the starts made within the Association’s jurisdiction.
Nominations by the Nominating Committee will be presented at
the July 1st meeting and do not require seconds.
A nomination from floor will be accepted if it receives endorsement of not less than three members present at the meeting, which shall include the nominator and two seconds, or is accompanied by a petition signed by no fewer than ten Association members.
Nominations remain open for fifteen (15) days after the nominating meeting, during which additional candidates may be nominated by petition.
Ballots will be mailed out Aug 4 and MUST be received back in the
HPBA office by Sept 7.
Minnesota HBPA News Updates
- All Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW) contracts have now been signed and are in effect for the next three years.
- The Dental Clinic is once again up and running under the direction of Minnesota breeder and owner Dr. Scott Rake. Dr. McBeain is also volunteering her time and skills and hygienists are available every week to provide teeth cleanings.
- English-as-a-second-language class started in June in the Canterbury Park Chapel. The classes are held Monday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 and are free to all those in the backstretch community.
- Wendy Hobson is back as the Executive Administrator and has been joined by Mike Cronin, who is the new Executive Director.
- HBPA Office Hours:
Tuesday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- HBPA Phone Numbers:
Mike Cronin 952-496-6442
Wendy Hobson 952-496-5442
Make your plans now!
23rd Annual HBPA Golf Tournament
Dahlgreen Golf Course
Chaska – dahlgreen.com
Monday, July 24th – 11:00 a.m.
(Registration: 10:00 -11:00 a.m.)
Lots of fun, delicious food, great prizes!!! Just $65 per person!
- Sign up in the HBPA Office
- Shotgun Start
- New this year…….Dinner-only tickets will be available. $20 each
Dental Clinic Opens!
The Dental Clinic in the Stable Area Administration Building opened Wednesday, May 17th after a two-year hiatus. The clinic is under the direction of oral surgeon Dr. Scott Rake, who is also a Minnesota breeder and owner.
Dr. Rake has also brought on board Dr. Mackensie McBeain, who began her dentistry career in oral surgery and has now transitioned into general dentistry. Having Dr. Rake and Dr. McBeain at the dental clinic allows for a wide spectrum of services, from filling cavities to tooth extractions.
But also extremely important is preventive care. To that end, the clinic has hired two dental hygienists. The attainable goal is that anyone on the backstretch needing dental care will receive it.
- Owner Novogratz Racing (Joe Novogratz)
- Trainer Mac Robertson
- Jockey Dean Butler
- Horse of the Meet Majestic Pride