2017 ELECTION INFORMATION
The 2017 election will be held to elect two Owners and one Owner-Trainer to
three-year terms on the Board of Directors. Anyone interested in running for a position should contact any member of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Meeting is Saturday, July 1st at Longshot’s @ 11 a.m. Free breakfast is served.
Bob Briggs 520-749-7157
Joe Faraone 612-328-7923
Gary McCloud 651-528-9468
Board of Directors
Jack Walsh (Owner)
Bernell Rhone (Trainer)
David Van Winkle
The 2017 Membership consists of those owners, owner-trainers or trainers who have started a Thoroughbred racehorse in a qualifying race in 2016 and/or 2017. A qualifying race is a race on which pari-mutuel wagering is authorized within the jurisdiction of this Minnesota Association. To be eligible for nomination or to serve as a Director, the following requirements must be met:
Be a member in good standing of the Minnesota HBPA for at least 50% of the racing season during the one year immediately preceding the date of nomination. Be a member on the date of nomination, and remain eligible as such at all times thereafter.
Have started the aggregate total of one or more horses a minimum of three times while a member of the Association in the one year immediately preceding the date of nomination with at least one of the starts made within the Association’s jurisdiction.
Nominations by the Nominating Committee will be presented at
the July 1st meeting and do not require seconds.
A nomination from floor will be accepted if it receives endorsement of not less than three members present at the meeting, which shall include the nominator and two seconds, or is accompanied by a petition signed by no fewer than ten Association members.
Nominations remain open for fifteen (15) days after the nominating meeting, during which additional candidates may be nominated by petition.
Ballots will be mailed out Aug 4 and MUST be received back in the
HPBA office by Sept 7.
Minnesota HBPA News Updates
- All Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW) contracts have now been signed and are in effect for the next three years.
- The Dental Clinic is once again up and running under the direction of Minnesota breeder and owner Dr. Scott Rake. Dr. McBeain is also volunteering her time and skills and hygienists are available every week to provide teeth cleanings.
- English-as-a-second-language class started in June in the Canterbury Park Chapel. The classes are held Monday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 and are free to all those in the backstretch community.
- Wendy Hobson is back as the Executive Administrator and has been joined by Mike Cronin, who is the new Executive Director.
- HBPA Office Hours:
Tuesday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- HBPA Phone Numbers:
Mike Cronin 952-496-6442
Wendy Hobson 952-496-5442
Make your plans now!
23rd Annual HBPA Golf Tournament
Dahlgreen Golf Course
Chaska – dahlgreen.com
Monday, July 24th – 11:00 a.m.
(Registration: 10:00 -11:00 a.m.)
Lots of fun, delicious food, great prizes!!! Just $65 per person!
- Sign up in the HBPA Office
- Shotgun Start
- New this year…….Dinner-only tickets will be available. $20 each
Dental Clinic Opens!
The Dental Clinic in the Stable Area Administration Building opened Wednesday, May 17th after a two-year hiatus. The clinic is under the direction of oral surgeon Dr. Scott Rake, who is also a Minnesota breeder and owner.
Dr. Rake has also brought on board Dr. Mackensie McBeain, who began her dentistry career in oral surgery and has now transitioned into general dentistry. Having Dr. Rake and Dr. McBeain at the dental clinic allows for a wide spectrum of services, from filling cavities to tooth extractions.
But also extremely important is preventive care. To that end, the clinic has hired two dental hygienists. The attainable goal is that anyone on the backstretch needing dental care will receive it.
- Owner Novogratz Racing (Joe Novogratz)
- Trainer Mac Robertson
- Jockey Dean Butler
- Horse of the Meet Majestic Pride